Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Reincarnation in Buddhism

Buddhism denies the idea of eternal happiness in heaven and eternal suffering in hell. Rather it says that eternity is a wrong view possessed by most of the people on earth. It says that a being after that can arise in this world or another worlds depending on his deeds. And he will keep taking birth in different worlds continuously until he will be able to eradicate the craving- craving for sensual pleasure, craving for existence and also craving for non-existence.


Recollection of Past Lives

But how can we be so sure about that? How could we know about our past lives? Well, the Buddha said it explicitly that a concentrated mind can remember its past lives. In the discourse of the fruits of contemplative life, the Buddha said:

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to knowledge of the recollection of past lives (lit: previous homes).

He recollects his manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction and expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. 

Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. 

Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus he recollects his manifold past lives in their modes and details. Just as if a man were to go from his home village to another village, and then from that village to yet another village, and then from that village back to his home village. 

The thought would occur to him, 'I went from my home village to that village over there. There I stood in such a way, sat in such a way, talked in such a way, and remained silent in such a way. From that village I went to that village over there, and there I stood in such a way, sat in such a way, talked in such a way, and remained silent in such a way. From that village I came back home.' 

In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to knowledge of the recollection of past lives. He recollects his manifold past lives... in their modes and details."

Thus ability to recollect the past lives is surely a supernatural power!

No comments:

Post a Comment