Friday, January 16, 2009

Conversation between Banavantey and French tourist

In 1982, when Folkland war was taking place between Britain and Argentina, at that time, four French tourists came to Rangamati for traveling. Two of them were male and another two were female. Once they visited the Banavihara along with a chakma interpreter. They discussed about many subjects with Banavantey. The excerpts are:

1st male: Do you know about the world?
Banavantey: I do and I don’t.

1st male: what does that mean?
Banavantey: I am able to know whenever I wish and I don’t know when I have no wish.

1st male: what does that mean?
Banavantey: I know it when necessary.

2nd male: A war is taking place in Folkland, do you know that?
Banavantey: Yes, I know that.

2nd male: Which side do you support?
Banavantey: I don’t support either sides.

2nd male: well, which side will win(in the war)?
Banavantey: You will get the answer from ordinary people.

2nd male: what does that mean?
Banavantey: Ordinary people support any one side. Which side do you support?
2nd male: we support Britain.
Banavantey: Ordinary people like you support any one side. In this world, who fight against each other, they are ordinary and lower people.

2nd male: That means, Britain is also lower?
Banavantey: Yes, Lower. While you will go back to your country, tell it there. The people who are extraordinary and great, they never engage themselves in fight.

1st female: I have wandered most of the places around the world. Even I went a few times to certain places which I liked most.
Banavantey: Don’t you suffer while traveling?

1st female: Yes, I suffer. From various visiting places, I like the Buddhist holy places most. Why I like those places, can you tell me?
Banavantey: among various visiting places, the Buddhist holy places are quiet and peaceful. Another reason is that, you may have Buddhist trends or mental impressions from your previous lives.

2nd female: How many years have you been practicing meditation?
Banavantey: for 35 years.

2nd female: In this long period of time, what experience have you got or felt yourself?
Banavantey: Realization of truths and annihilating the ignorance-craving, I am feeling the knowledge of cessation.

The tourists went away with a satisfaction in their minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment